Thursday, March 26, 2009

Installing packages in R

R is an open source statistical tool which has received a lot of attention in recent days.
For some time, I have been an active user of that tool because my PhD research requires some kind of statistical analysis. I found an interesting article about fitting distributions with R in which the author employs some R libraries that don't come included with the R basic installation.
The easy way to install additional libraries is using your 'root' system account. Thus,  execute 'R' and invoke the 'install.packages()' command from the R prompt.
In my case, I  selected the required libraries ('vcd' and 'fBasics') and 'OK' button. However the compilation process failed. So, previous to install/compile any additional R package it is necessary to install the 'R-devel' package.
Afterward, I installed 'vcd' first and then 'fBasics'. Now, I got a succeeded installation.

Additional Resources


No comments: