Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"apt-get upgrade" "packages have been kept back"

I have deactivated the automatic upgrade process in my Ubuntu box then every one or two week I execute the following steps,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

However, today during the upgrade process I got this message:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

I didn't understand why this happened so I googled and I found this link where it explains that "the packages that have newer versions available, and install any new dependencies which are required to do that." Then for fixing this, just run the "apt-get dist-upgrade" command.

No comments: